1. How is Simpletext different from other distraction-free writing apps?
Unlike other distraction-free writing apps, Simpletext is not a Markdown text editor. It’s much simpler, and built with a great emphasis on the writing experience. Imagine an XY grid, where one axis represents simplicity, and the other represents the writing experience. With every update, Simpletext strives to occupy the top right quadrant of this chart.
2. Is Simpletext a single purchase for all devices?
Yes, Simpletext is offered as a universal purchase, which means you only have to purchase once to use it on all your devices. This includes Simpletext for iOS, iPadOS and macOS.
3. What cloud services does Simpletext supports?
Simpletext is integrated with the file system so you can use iCloud Drive, Dropbox or any cloud services to sync your files.
4. What file types does Simpletext supports?
Simpletext can edit plain text files with extension .txt and .md. New files created has the default extension .txt.
5. How can I see my word count?
On iOS, simply tap on the keyboard bar to show your total words and characters. On macOS, choose View > Word Count from the menu bar to toggle the word count display. You can also select just the words you want for a partial count.
6. I’m stuck at the editor! How do I return to the file management screen on the iPhone and iPad?
Simpletext is intentionally designed without a navigation bar to minimise the visual clutter. To return to the previous screen, simply swipe right after you dismiss the keyboard.
7. It’s difficult to position the cursor on the iPhone and iPad. Are there any arrow buttons to move the cursor?
Simpletext has an even more intuitive way to move the cursor — just swipe your finger along the keyboard bar. Give it a try, it works like a charm! Alternatively, you can also drag the cursor directly to the position you want.
8. How do I undo or redo on the iPhone and iPad?
With the keyboard on screen, tap and hold anywhere with three fingers to reveal the text editing menu to undo, redo, cut, copy and paste. You can also swipe left with three fingers to undo, and swipe right to redo.
If you have a question that is not covered here, you are welcome to contact me.